Here are some tasty potato-based recipes for you to try (once your seed potatoes have grown to maturity of course!) How about sharing your favourite recipes with us?
Jansson’s Frestelse [Jansson’s Temptation]
1 kg waxy potatoes
2 large onions
24 anchovy filets
450 ml single cream
butter & olive oil
Cut the potatoes into strips. Grease a baking dish large enough to hold all the potato strips.
Cut the onions into thin slices and fry gently in a little butter and oil for about 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 1/3 of the potato strips, season with pepper and then add a layer of half the onions topped with half the anchovy filets. Repeat the layers and top with the final 1/3 of the potatoes. Flatten the surface, season with pepper, dot with butter and pour over half the cream. Cover and bake at 190C [375F, gas 5]. After 30 minutes uncover, add remaining cream, and bake another 20 or 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and golden brown.
Potato Soda Bread
450g plain flour [50:50 wholemeal and white]
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
225g general purpose or floury potatoes
Boil potatoes until tender, cool and peel or use left overs.
Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and then rub in the margarine. Pass potatoes through a potato ricer or rub through a sieve and gently stir into the flour.
Mix the milk and yoghurt and stir into flour mix, knead lightly to form a soft dough, add more milk if mixture is too dry. Dust a baking sheet with flour and place dough in the centre. Flatten it to give a circle about 20cm in diameter and mark a cross on the top. Cook for about 30 minutes at 200C [400F, gas 6] until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Potato, Leek and Coriander Bake
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes
Oven temperature 200C, Gas 6
You will need:
450g / 1lb leeks trimmed and washed
1kg / 2lb small potatoes scrubbed and dried
1 tablespoon oil
25g / 1oz butter
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Slice the leeks into 2cm / ¾in rings and cut the potatoes into 1cm / ½in slices.
2. Put the oil and butter in a large shallow roasting tin and place in the oven until the butter is just melted. Add the leeks and potatoes, turning them over several times to coat them with the oil and butter.
3. Crush the peppercorns with the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar. (If you do not have a pestle and mortar, put the seeds and peppercorns between 2 double sheets of kitchen paper and crush firmly with a rolling pin).
4. Add the salt to the seeds and peppercorns, sprinkle evenly over the potatoes and leeks and stir through.
5. Cover the tin tightly with foil. Bake in a moderately hot oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the potatoes and leeks over and put back near the top of the oven for a further 30 minutes.
Potato and Courgette Fritters
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
You will need
350g / 12 oz potatoes
350g / 12 oz courgettes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons oil
25g / 1oz butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Ground nutmeg to taste
1. Grate the potatoes and courgettes on the coarse side of the grater. Then, using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid from them as possible.
2. Put the pulp into a basin with the lightly beaten eggs. Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg, and mix together well.
3. Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan, then add the butter. When hot, spoon large tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. Flatten each fritter slightly using a fork.
4. Cook over a medium heat until brown, then carefully turn to cook the other side. Repeat using the remaining mixture. It may be necessary to add a little more oil to the pan to cook the second batch.