Email: info@bordersorganicgardeners.org

Borders Organic Gardeners.
Business Meeting 5/9/09 Blackcleugh Cottage, Bonchester Bridge.

Present
Sarah Eno (chair), Susan Watts (vice- chair), Judith Davison, Marina Catt, Blair and Sarah Cummock, David Catt, Maggie Warner, Keith Banyard, Lorraine Douglas, David Griggs, Pam Boyd, Heather Whitacker, Roberta Carruthers (later)
Apologies.
Robert Leetham, Lesley Angell, Jayne and David Brettell, Frances Lindsay, Ruth Morozzo, Bill and Val Smith, Andy Swales, Graham and Rosemary Bell.
Minutes.
The minutes of the last meeting were passed unanimously.
Matters arising.
Several items were addressed later in the meeting. Sandy has been unable to pursue his ideas on supporting allotment holder BOG members due to illness; we hope he is now on the way to recovery. Sarah will contact Sandy.
Apple Day.
Sarah has been in contact with Mike Scott at Harestanes and organisation is going ahead. Harestanes will be organising publicity with Borders Council, and we will put details on our website. We discussed details of carports and stalls which BOG will be providing. We will not be selling cakes etc. this year, just apples, vegetables etc. as the H&S issues became very complex last year. Sarah will continue to liase with Mike.
Potato Day.
The Potato group who have taken over from Roberta have met twice since the last meeting. We looked at possible floor plans and decided on a modified version of the one Robert came up with. We also decided that we needed increased signage in and around the entrance, the queuing area and the boards behind the potatoes on varieties which hadn’t been delivered, possible alternatives, how the potatoes were arranged etc. Ideas would be welcomed for a possible cookery demonstration.
We need someone to deal with stallholders. Keith will contact one possibility.
Sarah will write something for the newsletter on other jobs which we need volunteers for.
(N.B. Roberta was unable to get to the meeting until later, but is happy to take on the preparation of a Potato Cookery book, and is organising a talk by John Marshall, probably in Kelso Abbey Row Centre.
Reports- West.
David was pleased to report a good attendance and many new faces at the events organised in the western area. Attendance at the Family Day had been disappointing; David and Amanda are considering running this in conjunction with another event such as a plant exchange.
Reports- East.
Susan reported well attended and successful events this year, the lowest attendance was at the garden renovation visit which was very early in the year.
David Griggs mentioned that he was interested in running a workshop on novel recycling possibilities in the garden as part of next year’s programme.
Produce Day.
Judith reported that this year’s event had been very successful with a good venue, lots of interesting displays and a very good attendance. We raised £300 for Farm Africa. Many thanks to all who were involved in the organisation and running of the event.
The event fell in the holiday period when many people were away or involved in other events and we were short of people at Produce Day. Everyone who was there worked non stop all day. Judith does not want to run the event in the same way next year.
We discussed various ideas, including holding the show at a later date, running the show every other year, rather than annually and more active recruitment of helpers through the newsletter. We will think about this and make decisions at the AGM.
Website
After a few years in action, we decided we needed to look at the website and its usage. Judith will seek feedback via an article in the newsletter and contact with David Coyle. Sarah will contact Frances for her views. We could do with an editor to keep the site up to date.

Rest of programme.
Already fixed
· Apple Day- 18th October
· Talk by David Griggs- 28th October
· AGM 7th November
Items in the pipeline include
· a pruning workshop at Minto Glen.
· A talk by John Marshall.
· A Christmas decorations workshop with lunch.
(N.B. Since the meeting Roberta has organised the following
1. Sunday 13th December 2009 11am visit to Greenlaw Green Woodworkers workshop and Greenlaw Community Allotment in the Greenlaw Community Woodland at the Happer Memorial Field on A697 at south end of village followed by 1pm a shared lunch then 2pm making Christmas decorations from garden materials at Bridgend House (please bring more materials especially berried holly as I don’t have any) on A697 at north end of village. 01361 810270 
2. Saturday 30th January 2010 1.30pm Talk by John Marshall – 2009 Potato Day talk (which the helpers didn’t get to hear as usual ) Abbey Row Centre Kelso. I’m going to book from 1pm till 5pm for the talk. )
A.O.B.
Apple identification books- Sarah will approach Catherine with a view to buying a book for our reference library.
Pam asked about the rules for the BOG Show Prize. Show organisers are welcome to negotiate variations to suit their needs.
We don’t always get much information on entrants and winners of the prize. Keith will include a feedback slip with cheques in future.
We discussed producing BOG labels for re-using envelopes. Maggie will find out more on this.
We have not yet received a copy of the horsetail trial report. Sarah will chase this up.

Many thanks to Lorraine for her hospitality and the magnificent game pie!

Minutes prepared by Judith Davison